I used to use benchmark with 50g vmax for an all around varmint load. As I've moved more towards heavier bullets over the last 15 years I've switched to 8208xbr. I really like 8208xbr because it meters just like the benchmark I was used to but us a bit slower burning so it works a bit better with heavier bullets.

If there was a powder also made by adi with the same grain size but a bit slower I'd try it too. It seems like 8208xbr is as slow as I can find with the tiny extruded grain size. As you go to h4895 and varget the granules get bigger and they don't meter quite as well.

I've tried to narrow down my main 223 loads a bit and mostly load 75g Hornady bthp over 8208xbr or sometimes tac because I have a bunch to burn. For my lighter varmint weight bullets that work in all 223s I've gone to the 53g vmax over 8208xbr. The 53g has a bit better bc than the 50s.

I experimented with several powders and bullets in a very accurate old 788 223 I used to have around about 1999. I really liked h322 but it was a bit on the fast burning side so that led me to benchmark. My old benchmark load with 50g Vmaxes always shot amazing in that 788 and later in my first ar a rra predator pursuit. They also shot the 50g Sierra blitzing green tipped bullets about the same but the vmax were cheaper. I was happy when I started going to heavier bullets and found 8208xbr is basically a slower version of benchmark and h322.

I have a few thousand berger 52g varmint flat based bullets in my basement that I dug out while rearranging the bullet shelves. I was thinking earlier tonight I should get around to loading them and try them over benchmark and 8208xbr. I think I could probably get those to really shoot. Either that or I need to just sell them. I just don't use the lighter stuff much anymore.

Bb