Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by smallfry
The 32 H&R is an outstanding jframes snub cartridge. Great cartridge all around.

Reference J Frames.

You get 6 rounds, versus 5. In addition to a lower recoiling round. Now in part, that can be minimized with specialty rounds like the .38 Short Colt like I offer, but aside from custom offerings, which people generally do not know about, most people are relegated to harder recoiling standard, big box store ammo. The typical box store ammo kicks fairly hard in a .38 Snubby.

Some people who have hand issues due to age, arthritis, physical size, etc, may choose to go with a rimfire, such as a .22 LR, or .22 Magnum. What most don't know, and soon discover is that on rimfire revolvers they use substantially heavier actions springs to ensure the ammo will fire. Many people have a very difficult time with the heavy rimfire DA trigger pulls on J frames.

On a .32 H&R or .327 Mag, you get added capacity (5 of .38 Special vs 6 of .32 Mag), as well as the lighter trigger pull, and better reliability of a centerfire cartridge.

For a snubby, they make a lot of sense for a good number of people.

Well put. I went that path starting 40 years ago with a Colt Police Positive .32 snubbie, a "Dick's Special". .32 S&W Longs loaded hot as I dared (most assuredly too hot for a flimsy break-open Saturday Night Special) and either 98 grain SWC's or WC's. It definitely outclassed a rimfire handgun but without the sturm und drang of .38's in that small package. Nowadays I don't look at such stuff with self defense in mind, just like .32's for regular old target shooting/plinking.

Latest .32 mold added to the half dozen or so others I have is the Accurate Molds #311-105T (illustrated in their online catalog). Its a 105 grain bullet (cast from 1:20 alloy), round nose-shaped ogive with a wide flat meplat, .314" out of the mold which allows its use as-cast in several of my .32's and .32-20 and is easily sized to .312-.313" for the others. Works a charm in both .32-20's and .32 Longs. If limited to but one mold for .32's this would be it. (I'm not actively looking for a handgun in .32 Mag, I figure the .32-20 cartridge fills that bill ok.)
In respect to defensive purposes I’ve done extensive ballistic study on the 32s and 38s. Both are fantastic calibers that can be uniquely tailored to low recoil. From 650-850 fps it’s hard to wrong unless you are trying to get them to expand, which takes away performance imo