When living in South Texas south of Beeville on the Nueces R, I witnessed a bullet 22-250 that penetrated only 1/2" of the shoulder. The ranchers son, on the other hand, was fond of using a 22 Hornet. I suspect the effectiveness of his Hornet was due to the lower velocity which did not cause the bullet to expand rapidly on impact, allowing it to enter the chest and expend all for its deathly energy. I never saw an exit, lending credence that one would want to bullet to stay inside for maximum energy transfer.

After reading an article by John Wooters, I chose the 7mm Express for my first deer rifle. Little did I know that the 280 is basically a 270 improved and would not work on South Texas spikes. It set up such a sonic wave that this layer of compressed air would cause the bullet to veer away as it approached the deer. I had first hand experience of having Ballistic Tips veer to the side and simply graze the neck, or be pushed downward as it approached the chest only to inflict only a wound in the leg. Thus, I traded that rifle on a faster 7Mag whose bullets would pass the sound waves and hit the deer where aimed. I did later move from south Texas to Arizona where the whitetail are not near as tough, as many later fell to a 270.

When I returned to hunt near Mathis, TX a few years later, I had a 300 mag in hand, which was much more suitable for the deer south of Beeville.

Doug~RR

Doug~RR