Originally Posted by DownWind
For those who didn't follow the story ... I just sold my grandfather's Savage 99-EG in 250-3000 to Longbeardking303 (aka LBK, Steve). The money wasn't as important as the home this rifle was going to. It's a classic shooter and not a museum piece. I couldn't shoot it here in Illinois and it screamed for some action. I found this forum about two weeks ago and didn't know what to expect. With the help of some forum regulars (Savage collectors) I posted the rifle in the forum classifieds. I expected a normal transaction ... post, receive offers, agree to sell, receive money, ship rifle. I got all that and something much more important ... Steve took great interest in the history of the rifle and the man who owned it until his death in 1982. I know now that grandad's rifle has a perfect home with someone who will not only care for it, but appreciates the personal history that goes along with it. It's a comfort that you really can't comprehend until you've gone through it.

Thank you Steve. I know grandad is smiling. I consider you a great sportsman and personal friend.

Dave, Your kind words overwhelm me. That's the whole reason I like old things. To know the history of the people that may have owned them. To know a gun was in the woods in the hands of a man that knew enough to keep the wind in his face and didn't depend on camo clothes and scent away products to make up for his lack of woodsmanship. Your Grandfather probably called himself a hunter because that's exactly what he was. I say again, if your ever in a position to want the gun back it will be yours for exactly the same deal. Until then I will take good care of it an it will be hunting this fall. Thanks, the whole transaction was great. I wish they all went this well.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5