I would certainly not buy that cartridge if I were planning to make it my "elk" rifle. I'm with Muley Stalker on this 100% Elk are big powerful animals that can run a long way dead on their feet. It would be a shame to lose one because it left no blood even after a vital shot was made.

In my opinion Elk rifles begin at .308 diameter and get better and better as diameter increases. I would also say that bullet weight of 150 grains is awefully light for animals of 600-800 pounds. It becomes unlikely you will get exits with bullets that light unless perfect broadside shots are taken and no bones hit. Quartering away shots are also very difficult for lighter bullets and near impossible for an exit hole to add blood to the tracking job.

If it were all I had and the personal dicipline was there to take only the right shot I would use it. However for general elk hunting I would much prefer a heavier bullet and a bigger bore. That's just my opinon though.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)