A 338 of some sort will give more dramatic results and generally mean less tracking. The truth is however, any decent cartridge from the 260 Rem up will kill elk with a good bullet in the right spot. A mature bull is quite a different critter than the average cow/raghead so it's wise to stack a bit more power in your corner for those boys. I'd not feel one bit handicapped with a 270 WSM however. I was up at our ranch the other day banging away with my 338 WM on targets. A neighbor rancher was moving cows down the road and stopped to talk. He asked what I was shooting and I told him... he shook his head and laughed and wondered out loud why anyone would use such a cannon for elk rather than a vanilla-grade 270! He's an old timer in his 70's and has been outifitting on elk for fifty years and has never seen the need for more than a 270.

If you've got your heart set on the 270 WSM don't let anyone talk you out of it!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery