I agree with Journeyman. The hunter who has big money on the table or who has never got his bull is more inclined to take a so so shot, because he doesn't want to go home tomorrow empty handed. They don't have to be out of staters. Granted there are very ethical hunters from both. And there are slobs from both. Your residence doesn't make you one or the other. But rather your own personal skills. If you know how to find and hunt elk, your confidence tells you that you can find the animals again tomorrow or next year.

I've shot enough elk, that it doesn't hurt my feelings to not tag out on a given year. I'll get one next year. I've let a lot really nice bulls walk away because they were 500+ yards out. Or because they were ghosting through trees and I couldn't really assess how big they were, or I didn't want to take a running shot through timber, or numerous other reasons. I'd rather not try a shot and spook them. It's just easier to try and find them tomorrow and get closer.
That's why it's called Hunting not Killing.

I sat at the range this past summer working on my 270 WSM load. A fellow came in with his 300 RUM and popped off a couple of rounds. In convresation he told me that he shot at a monster bull last year. Pointing to a spot on the hill behind the range, stating "It was about that far out and all my bullets missed,"( it was 600+ yards) So he bought a cannon, saying " I bought a gun that will reach out and get em this year".

I just don't get that logic. Spend the time required hunting to get close enough and a 270 or the 270WSM will do the job.