hicountry, having done that work I was thinking the same thing. The bigger question in my mind was did the hunter and outfitter never speak before the day he pitched up in camp?

I ask everyone of my hunters what guns they bring and what ammo, if they don't offer it or ask first. On the whole I think 99% of the hunters I take ask advise about ammo to me directly first.

There are ways for non-residents to hunt without a "real" guide in Alaska. You can hunt on native lands with a native guide. I know several folks who bought hunts like this over the years and the horror stories of the ability and hidious equipment was like a Saturday night Live show!

I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life as I did hearing about these hunts from one of the hunters himself. It was a real comedy..........after it was over, not during the hunt.

It would not surprise me one bit that some of these guides would not even know what a 30/378 is or a ballistic tip. Just as an example I can't hold this back. They arrived at a fly in camp where they had small tents set up to hunt Griz as a base camp. As they flew in the hunter saw big orange and blue sheets blowing in the wind. He assumed they were for the pilot to see the camp. They landed the plane and were dropped off with their gear. NOBODY WAS THERE!

The pilot said the guides were probably around and would be coming now that they heard the plane. It was late Morning. The hunters decide to take a walk and look around. The big sheets they saw were the tents blowing in the wind ripped to shreds. They were only still there because they were hung up on some bushes. Many hours go by and they have no food or water. Still no guides and they are really beginning to worry. It's above freezing but it's now raining and cold.

Then finally a native guide walks into camp with a rolled up tent under his arm. He says he ran out of fuel in the 4 wheeler on the way back so he had to walk. The guy is soaking wet and has no rain gear. He hands them the tent to put up because he is shivering and worthless to do any work from being near dead from hypothermia. The other tents were worthless and one of the guys says where are the tent poles for this tent? The guide replies I could not find them we have to use the ones from the tents that blew away. The Hunters say they are different kinds of tents! Oh and by the way where are the sleeping bags and food. The reply was they will be coming tommorow the ATV which was to bring them today is stuck in a bog and they had to return for help to di it out. All this time there is a dog in the camp barking non-stop

The hunter Who set the trip up said he wanted to be flown out back to Anchorage call the plane on your radio. You guessed it "what radio". They have to spend the night without a tent or sleeping bags and no food in a 35 deg rain. The up side was the hunters had their stuff but that poor native guys had to sleep in one of those raggedy tents rolled around him all night with his wet dog.

The help actually showed up early in the morning with the remaining gear but still had no tent poles. That took another day. One guy actually shot a bear 7' he was happy. He shot it as it was walking towards the tent one day. The other fellow came home with a sore back, poor sleep, sick of canned beans, and a cold!

There were more detials that are just too long to go into and some comments not fit for a public forum like this. Anyhow I laughed so hard at this fellas story I nearly wet myself. Only Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation was as funny as this guys story!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)