My experience has been extreemly limited. I've seen the partition shed it's front end and have the back half continue through an animal at awkward angles. On one elk, the bull was hit with a .338 Win Mag, 200 yards broadside, the bullet hit squarely on the shoulder, breaking the leg but failing to continue on thru into the vitals. We did recover that bull the next morning, he was still very much alive when we found him laying in the oakbrush. I've seen a few rump shot bulls that headed for the next county.

I may be all wet, but what I'm looking for is something more in line with Barnes bullets. The idea of the back half of the bullet penciling its way thru the rest of the animal isn't the best in my view. Yes, all these critters ended up being recovered, but where we hunt if the animals travel 300 yards they can get to the rim trying to escape. From there it's one heck of a steep drop, straight down, one hell of a waste of meat. Need to break em down, and with them already on the move it makes for an interesting proposition. So my line of thinking is that with the thicker jacket the bullet will hold togeather longer, creating more hydrostatic shock with the larger frontal area, v/s the base traveling thru at bullet diameter.

What has been your experience with the golds? Do you think it's an improvment on a good bullet, or just a marketing ploy for Nosler to keep pace with other bullet manufactures?

Thanks,
Al