Dang, I had no idea what a can of worms I was opening.

Here is my situation. If I elk hunted enough and had the $ I would no doubt buy a 30+ caliber. But the way it is, I have never been, but now I have been invited for next year. Though I am not sure that I will even be able to go, I would feel underarmed if I went with my 270 win. I know people kill em with it all the time, but having never hunted them, I would like as much advantage as I can. But here is the deal, I hunt a lot of deer, mostly just whitetails up to 180 pounds, and I may not do any elk hunting for awhile. So changing to a 300 doesn't really appeal to me at this point.

The 270 wsm appears to be an awesome round and I am thinking of switching from my 270 win to the wsm. If I made the switch and got to elk hunt next year I would feel better prepared weapon wise, but I though I would post here and see what yall thought of how much better I should feel....

What I have read is about what I expected. With that weapon I would have to use premium bullets and take very ethical shots.....which I would do anyway. I like the long range possibilities for deer with the wsm, but would not feel real good about it will elk unless told different by someone w/ much more experience.

Yall have done what I was looking for when I made this post, and I greatly appreciate it. Please keep it coming. I just wanted to make it known where I was in this.

JJHack, you use a 30-06 mostly don't you? If so, why is that better than the 300 weatherby? If I were to guess, the slower velocity allows the bullet to do more damage....but I really don't know.

I hate rude behavior in a man....won't tolerate it.

-Captain Woodrow F. Call