Well there are things this country does collectivly that I agree with/ see as being uniquely American - yet there are people in this country that I do not, and will not agree with and generaly do not find at all in the general meaning of "being an American"

I myself can not and will not ever agree with those in our society who are pro-abortion, anti religion, anti-gun, and anti- family. Not saying I can't be their neighbor and will treat them with respect - just can not agree with them. And that is a difference I have found to be out there - those of us on the right seem to be more respectful of disenting positions- we are not trying to say you HAVE to pray in school - just alow those that want to to be able to - yet those that just can not let it be say NO you absolutly can not as it may offend my 3 yr old.

I do not agree with those who say marriage can be between 2 men or 2 women, say we can not discipline our kids, say a simple prayer before a football game is infringing on their rights not to, or people who say that as Americans we need to be answerable to other countries as to our national defense.

I swell up with great pride when I see this country reach its hands out to those in need. I can not think of one instance where this country has said no to another in dealing with a natural or man made disaster. We help everbody- floods in China, famine in USSR (even tho we were enemys) these things make me proud of our Country - Ironicaly displaying those Judeo-Christian beliefs (do unto others...) that so many inside this country are trying to say should not be part of how we do business.

What I see is a real (and this is so cliche) culture war going on in this country - finally coming to a head. I see the changes in the schools as I graduated HS in 95 and then go back to those schools in just a 10 yr span to see the differences in attitude from the students/teachers and the way it is sliding farther and farther into the things I do not believe in.

I joined the military late in life - I was 25 - I had life expirence before that and to see the attitudes of new recruits coming in - fresh out of HS all believing that the govt, military, and the world OWES something to them just because the (OMG) had to do things they do not like or weren't born into the life of someone like Paris Hilton, makes me sick.

They have no concept of responsability, world affairs or world history (old adage those that don't learn from it...) I had an Army e-5 (person of responsability- supposed to mold young soldiers and teach them) not know what the significance of Dunkirk was, she also had no idea that Supreme court justices were appointed for life, we fought a war in 1812, no idea the Berlin Airlift ever occured. I am not saying a person has to be the walking History channel but she only saw America -up to this point- as the America shown to her by people who thought America has only done wrong - Korea, Vietnam, bay of pigs, that liberal bs spewed to her in schools.

If my beliefs make me some out of touch- "evil" right winger then so be it - these are beliefs based on my own observances and WHAT makes sense to ME.

My parents were never politicaly active or even active in anything other than

getting us to soccer, hunting, and so forth. Every political leaning and though I have comes from an un-influenced look at life. I made my decisions based on what I see and feel.

Just my expirence and way I think, as others have said "... your mileage may vary..."

Me