Plain sawing is "most efficient" for getting the most LUMBER from a log to sell. The lumber yard wants to produce board feet of lumber, usually for flooring, at best. If you plain saw a log for gunstocks, you only have the few boards in the middle with desirable grain and figure.

Quarter sawing gets the most amount of usable wood with the right grain and figure, and more of it will be of the same orientation.

Radial sawing cuts wood at a consistent radial orientation, but wastes the wedge piece of scrap between each board, and requires a circular saw, which cuts a wider kerf, turning more of your valuable wood into sawdust.

Go look at the pictures I posted again and try to understand. Better yet, go to a saw mill and see it in action. Best yet, try it yourself, then come back and talk about it AFTER you've done it.

While we're at it Pugs, what is your actual experience with:
* growing hardwoods?
* logging?
* sawing logs?
* seasoning and curing wood?
* laying out wood for furniture or gun stocks?
* building gun stocks?

I won't bother to ask about your experience in the other aspects of my career you claim to be capable of judging, like engineering, machine design and controls, advanced manufacturing, etc.