Originally Posted by High_Brass
Did some shooting yesterday with my sporterized M1917 Enfield with a load that I found a couple years ago for it.

165gr Hornady SP
58gr IMR 4831
R-P cases
WLR primers

The old guy (made July, 1918) will put three into 1/2" group at 100 yards on a regular basis. This is with an old (dare I say?) Bushnell Banner 3-9X scope and original military trigger.

I've got an Enfield like that.. mine is a hybrid tho..
the action is a Winchester built one, and the barrel is a Remington built one..

It still has the full 26 inches, and it is as accurate as any self respecting varmint rifle..still with military trigger...which I like and also like the cock on opening feature, regardless of what other folks say..

It will take loads all day, of a heavy charge of 4831SC and 200 grain bullets, giving an MV of over 2900 fps with that bullet!

Handloading for a friends M1 Garand for match shooting, I came across some older Speer data for the 06, using 4064..
using 50 grains of it with a 180 grain bullet, gives a very respectable 2800 fps out of both the Enfield and the Model 70..

This winter the Enfield is going to get Parkerized, and a Picatinny Rail mounted on it..the scope is getting changed to a Leupold 3 x 9 with a heavy German # 1 reticle on it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez