Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
You are likely correct but IME the vast majority of people who have actually seen and interacted with these animals have strong negative feelings about them.

Knowing quite a passel of such folks personally, I find exactly the opposite. I could point you to the father of game management himself, Aldo Leopold as a well known example of that, but in fact, everyone I know that actually deals with them on a regular basis has extremely positive feelings about the need for predators back in the landscape.

Whatchya trapping?

I happen to agree with both Dog Hunter and you, but must clarify. In Dog Hunter's point he is most likely talking about non-game management people, "salt of the earth" people. You are most likely talking about game management people, animal rights groups, federal, state and local agencies.

To cite Aldo Leopold as an example of the people you are talking about is a stretch. Do a little background check on Leopold and you will find that until he took a professor position at the University of Wisconsin - Madison, as an employee of the U. S. Forest Service in New Mexico he firmly believed that removal of predators would benefit wildlife populations and ultimately hunters...he advocated the extermination of wolves and mountain lions. What changed his mind? He was immersed in one of the most liberal universities and liberal cities in the world. To survive economically and socially in that environment he became a wolf hugger.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/28/10.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime