The best way to get rid of any game species is to let it NOT be a game species. Let the wolf be protected and eventually it will be extinct. As far as it's impact on game. I agree it takes it's toll on game animals and should be managed. Hunters will only get the stupid, young and feeble animals. Look at the coyote. The smart ones don't answer to calls and rarely are fooled by even the best trap set ups. Coyotes have been hunted, trapped and poisoned for generations. They still are far from being extinct. As far as habitat being gone for wolf populations to thrive, that's a load of BS. How do explain a pack of 12 wolves roaming the streets of Ironwood Michigan, plundering garbage cans and the local pet population. A team of "Federal Hunters" had to be called in to take care of the pack. If you think that is a load of crap well, they were recorded on a surveillance camera by a local business owner who was told that he was full of crap. They adapt like everything else. I really don't see the hang up on hunting them. Make them valuable by making them a game species. The smart and healthy will survive and the hunters will take out the weak and stupid. Just like everything else. I will say one positive on the wolf population that I can't even deny. As much as I dislike them the deer population has had one benefit. The deer I do see are healthy and big. Although my average deer sightings have gone from around 30 a day to about 5 to 8.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.