Originally Posted by roundoak

Dog Hunter, does your state pay for wolf predation?

Here in Wisconsin the state and Feds are protecting the wolf and pay livestock owners and dog owners for loss due to wolves. A relative in Northwestern Wisconsin had a colt maimed by wolves and had to be put down. Got a check from the gov't and he has figured that financially he would be better off to raise horses for the wolves because the overall horse market is depressed.

As a side note...fur prices in this area are really depressed and trappers in my neighborhood seem to be trapping just for the excersise and skill maintenance. An amigo and I dropped some coyotes at the local fur buyer last Monday and averaged $11.00 each

They do pay here, assuming the kill was PID as a wolf kill. Problem is the investigaters don't always get there in time and the site is cleaned up by scavangers. I know of 2 hgound dogs in the last week killed: I am not sure if hunting dogs are considered "livestock". Ranchers in the big hole are loosing calves nearly daily, but its just buisness as usual to them anymore. I have no idea what kind of cash their getting or dead livestock, but the loss of productivity due to being run around so much is still unpaid. I was talking to a rancher at the range today and he has feds flying over his spread taking a few out. At least their doing SOMETHING.

As a side note to your sidenote, I only trap bobcats for profit. The quota is full now, so I just trap other animals for fun and to get rid of critters near houses. I don't even waste my time skinning coyotes/fox/coons anymore. I give some to the Bio dept at the U of M, the others get thrown in the bushes. (Please nobody start arguing about the ethics of "wasting" predators and unprotected wildlife)