Originally Posted by roundoak
My point in all this was Leopold was not without warts and because people choose not to look under the hood he is held high...saint like.

Its easier to quote the man than to speculate on his emotional evolution. Thought it might help.

Actually, I've been studying Leopolds' works since about 1969(?). My favorite Leopold is Luna B.

The main reason I have that Aldo quote is that its one of my favorites to present to Leopold admirers, who mostly have not heard of that side of the guy. They have a hard time believing Aldo would do such a thing.

Here is another famous Aldo-quote (I think its right) that sounds real purty, but doesn't really make much sense. In fact it seems...well...stupid:
"Only a mountain has lived long enough to listen to the howl of the wolf objectively."
I know its supposed to be an insightful thought about man's emotional reaction to wolves, but I mean, really!! "Only a mountain"? How about a tweety bird? Does a tweety-bird give a S? Maybe a tree; does a tree care? At least a tree is alive, unlike Aldo's mountain. I anally digress...

But Aldo was great and brought stuff to the public's attention with artful prose. He made folks think differently. He deserves to be "held high", despite his warts. smile

There are many copies.