Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
What are the real world velocities one should achieve with a 20" barreled 338 Federal?

At sea level, my chronograph is showing 2600 fps out of my 18.5" bbl with 48 gr Re 15 and 185 gr TSX. Cases show no signs of excessive pressure after shooting. With the same load and a 200 gr Hornady Interlock, my chronograph is showing 2550 fps. I've been making these loads for myself and shooting them a lot at the range since 2007. I have also fired them at deer, once shot per each, in 2008 and 2009. Both the 185 gr TSX and the 200 gr Hornady seem to kill deer well.

I would think adding 1.5 inch to the barrel could add up to 75 fps or so; maybe less, maybe more. It all depends on the comparison between your barrel and the one you're comparing it to. I once had three .280's with 22" barrels, and there could be as much as 150 fps difference between them with a given load. The correct answer is...it all depends... smile.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."