Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'd have no problemo taking a Montana in 338/08 (like that better than Federal) and sticking a scope with dotz on it and it'll take elk for me just fine to 500 yds. Obvious here I wouldn't take any shot I had @ 500 but if the conditions were right for me to shoot with any other round @ 500 then I'd take the poke with the lil 33 as well.

Most likely I'd use my fav 33 bullet which is the 200 NBT, it'd be easy to set the dotz to kill on demand and the bullet would open at range as well.

People really underestimate what rounds are really capable of these days. I mean you wreck the lungs and they're melba toast!

Dober

Agreed, though I ran into the other kind of guys this week at the range. Two from the Coast Guard, shooting SKS's and suchlike. I had my .308 and .338 Fed RSI's out, just checking. After awhile they came over and wanted to look through my 15-45 scope to check my shooting. Sub-inch groups seemed to stagger them up, so I shifted the bench rest a bit and took a shot at the 300 yard steel plate. They were utterly staggered at my getting a "rinnggg" out of it, first time grin. I shot it a couple more times, with the .338 Fed, and they were most impressed. It didn't seem worth the effort to explain that shooting a 12" plate off the bench at 300 yards did not represent a great deal of accomplishment. They were very nice, and very impressed...so I hope they come back smile.

And you are so right, Mark. A large group of people seem to have lost out on the knowledge of just how far away one can kill big game animals -- if they can hit them, find them, butcher them, move them et al are other kinds of questions that have no connection to how well the bullet actually works and at what distances.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."