makes me think there are two types of magnums , power and / or trajectory. The 300 does increase range approx 100yds over an 06, do these few inches mean much on an animal larger than wt deer, most likely not. Does the extra power of the 300 make a differance over an 06? Well if you run the bullet faster then it will expand more when its on the animal so penetration with a bullet from a 300 and an 06 are similiar. i sold a 300win and bought a 3006, because it kills as well ,ranges as well, comes in a light short package if desired. Like other posters have mentioned........if you need more than an 06 then you need alot more so for me the next step is to a good medium bore. Point of interest, a 168TSX at 2900fps and a 200gr AccuBond at 2625fps out of an 06 will have almost the same trajectory and the 200gr AB will pack 20+ % more pwer all the way out to 500+yds. At ranges beyond 300yds you will need a range finder or be well practiced at estimating distances anyway and the 06 will kill with any resonably placed shot at that distance.

Last edited by Furprick; 02/28/10.