Originally Posted by oldman1942
I have yet to meet a deer/antelope/elk I can't get inside 400 yards of. Of course I am handicapped...no noisy ATV to "extend" the range.(GRIN)

Come hunt the elk migration routes through open sage country with me. The elk often go for miles without stopping and typically end up in another Unit or on private land, safe in either case. You can't catch them in a tail chase so you take the shots that are offered or take a pass.

This was the area where I took my longest shot to date. After 6 hours of �getting closer� I was finally able to take a 350 yard shot right at the end of shooting light. My hunting buddies got nothing.
[Linked Image]

This one I got lucky on � the herd had passed me and turned back around. I ended up with a lasered 213 yard shot with my .45-70. Then they were gone.

[Linked Image]

I got lucky here, too. We watched a herd come off the hills on the horizon. While I was lining up for a 500 yard shot a hunter on another hill took a shot and turned the herd. They came up right in front of me and I ended up with a 40-yard shot (after turning down closer ones). After I took my shot they were quickly over a fence and onto private land.
[Linked Image]

I applaud trying to get closer but sometimes it just isn't possible.

By the way, I don't have an ATV - or horses, either. We do it on foot.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/01/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.