Originally Posted by idnative1948

I know my eyes aren't up to the task and neither are my knees for a 500 yd shot. I would rather *hunt* into 100-200 range and if I spook it, my bad. After all, that's why we call it hunting for animals instead of shooting for animals.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you aren�t comfortable shooting past 200 yards that�s fine by me.

Some of my easiest hunts resulted in my closest shots and my hardest hunt, a 6 hour stalk, resulted in my longest shot (350 yards) right at the end of shooting light. Although I�ve gotten close enough to reach up and touch belly fur, I don�t buy the suggestion made by some that it is always possible to get closer - often, through no fault of the hunter, it just isn�t.

There were many years when I thought 200 yards was �long range�. It wasn�t until I started shooting at longer ranges that the veil fell from my eyes and I discovered just how close 200 yards really is. These days I regularly shoot clay pigeons at 400 yards, steel gongs at 500 and, lately, clay pigeons and steel gongs at 600 yards. While I try to get close, I�m confident of my ability at longer range, too. In years past I have often come home empty-handed after turning down what I considered �long� shots. Now, if and when the time comes, elk at 500 yards will be more of a chip shot than a problem.

Define �hunting� any way you want, but I suggest that it is a poorly prepared hunter that is incapable of taking shots longer than 200 yards. Being capable but choosing not to do so is a different matter altogether.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.