Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Let�s face it � if you can�t get it done with a .30-30 you just need to learn to �hunt� rather than �snipe�.

A .308 Win has way more recoil than a �hunter� needs to put up with and that recoil makes it difficult to shoot well. Don�t even get me started on the .30-06 or, more ridiculous yet, the .300 Win Mag.

It�s an invariable rule - the bigger the cartridge, the smaller the shooter�s man parts! People that shoot a .300 Win need a magnifying glass to take a whiz.

wink

I agree with all but the last statement as I have no profound knowledge on that topic. The 300 Savage and 30-40 Krag may be the most under rated and over looked 30 cal cartridges around.

Actually, I don�t agree with ANY of the statements I made, which I tried to indicate with the winky ( wink ) at the end of my post. Anyone that has read many of my posts would, I hope, realize I was being facetious in the extreme.

While I do have a Marlin .30-30 and enjoy shooting it, the .30-30 is a big game virgin in my hands. Not so with my Remington .308 Win, Ruger .30-06 or Ruger .300 Win Mag. (Nor my Ruger 7mm Rem Mag or my Marlins in .375 Win and .45-70, for that matter.)

The truth is I don�t believe it�s always possible to get closer, that the .300 Win Mag has intolerable recoil or that people can�t shoot magnums well or that choosing a magnum necessarily indicates lack of confidence in one�s manhood. (Or womanhood, whatever.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.