Originally Posted by Shakari
also bear in mind that the right bullet for the right animal is only half the story. You also need to consider and decide the right load.

Good examples of this are the Woodleigh bullets where it's very important to pay strict attention to the recommended terminal velocity printed on the box

Have to agree on the Woodleigh bullets and the velocity recommendations based on one guy here in Sweden...

He shoots moose with a .358 Norma and Woodleigh bullets going about 350fps faster than intended.

I have seen some of his recovered bullets, and they are like US silver dollars -- huge diameters and expanded all the way to the base! Quite the testimony to Woodleigh's bonding, but not ideal performance in my opinion.

He is a believer in that mythical concept "hydraulic shock". Well, moose just do not seem impressed by shock to me -- they take about a minute to die (during which time they run into a swamp or some handy ice water if deep enough, but that is another story). frown

Good thing he was never able to get his hands on those A-Square bullets with the brittle jackets that were designed to fragment ("Lion Loads"?) or he would be launching those!

John