Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by rost495
Man, I could get hooked on #1s too if I didn't still have such hate for Bill Ruger.

I have no love nor hatred for Bill Ruger, but do appreciate his contribution to the revival of classic designs for pistols and rifles during the era when every manufacturer was trying to imitate Roy Weatherby at 1/3 to 1/4 the price. Just curious, what is your beef with him? (FWIW, I do know a fair number of folks in Arizona that used to take issue with his politics...)

The man sided with the antigunners in one of the assault weapons bills on mag capacity... instead of fight, he made all his mags down to 10 voluntarily, and then lobbied RE the definition of assault rifle so that his mini 14s were not touched. Simple and pure greed rather than fight IMHO. He could have done what the others did, amend their products after the fact after he had lost the battle.

I just dont' stomach a man like that in the firearms business. Stand up for your principles. If your principles are like Zumbos, well I dont watch, read or support that ass and never will again. I won't buy new rugers as such, even though I'd love a few red labels. In fact after that fiasco I have only gotten a used #1 and that was a gift, I just refuse. Same like... I think it was Coopers.. won't buy them, though maybe they have been sold to a pro gunner now.... I don't recall but I never had a cooper on my list anyway so no loss to them I suspect.

Pisses me off everytime I see a ruger somewhere. Or think about em. And to think one of my goals was to have one of every caliber 77 ever made. Glad I hadn't started that quite yet...

As to his designs... yep, love the #1. The SA's I can do with or without, I love the Mk1/2s semi auto little 22 pistols. I love the red labels. I loved the 77s, until I realized that they simply were nice looking but a PITA to bed IMHO, and didn't shoot that well generally, especially their failure at the palma businesss.

Mostly though its my chip on my shoulder for the above reasons and no one else need feel that way.

I am sorry for the thread digression... I can't help myself with him.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....