Originally Posted by Oregon45
After reading the replies in the "favorite factory fixed blade" thread, I'm leaning toward getting a Bark River knife; so, what Bark River do you have, how do you like it, and would you please post a picture? I'm looking at both field/camp knives and knives for field dressing animals.

I have owned Barkies now for about 9 years.

For general outdoor use, if you like a drop point blade I would recommend starting out with a Fox River model. They run about $150 to $175 in most handle materials and are probably Bark River's best selling game dressing knife. About a 4.25" blade with great cutting power. The Arched Spine along with the drop point are great for dressing deer. It also works well as a general purpose knife due to it's blade shape and thickness. At least one Survival instruction school remmmends it as a survival knife.

One warning though, most Bark River Knives only come in a convex blade grind. Unless you are OK with Convex style sharpening /stropping don't buy one. It is a waste to buy a full convexed blade and then try to put a "V " secondary bevel on it. Buy a flat or hollow ground knife from some other maker if you want to do that.

It's about like putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Lamborgini. wink

Last edited by jim62; 01/06/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt