Originally Posted by deputy30
You are right jim. But I had a bad experience once trying to return an unused pair of boots and I said no more big purchases through the mail. And for me this falls in that category.

Since I'm talking to you jim I have a question. I really like the natural canvas micarta color, but the only matte finish I can find is the black canvas. How does the matte finish affect the overall look and does it give the knife a tougher or more durable finish.

Thanks

Well first of all, regarding returns every Bark River stocking dealer is a family run operation. If you call them up and say you have it narrowed down to two knife models, and if you could order both and handle then and return the one you don't want- they will give you a straight answer and stick to what they promise you. I think as long as you actually keep one of them they will be fine with it.. wink

As to the matte finish. If you want it done, send it to Bark River later and have then done it for you.

Micarta is not "finished" really. The finish is IN the material as it's full resin impregnated. About the only time Micarta could be considered to have a finish is when it's high polished and waxed . It is done to produce a high gloss more than for the weather resistance.

All matte finishing does is the same thing it does to steel on a rifle- just dulls the finish. On Micarta sand or bead blasting abrades some of the Resin out in between the weave of the fabric surface which creates a bit more of a "nubby" texture. Be aware it is NOT as grippy as stippling or checkering on grips etc. But it's got more grab than high polished Micarta.

A Matte finish dulls the colors a bit but if you rub a rag soaked with WD -40 (or better yet, Armoral) on the handle it will deepen the colors, mainly because it scrubs the dust out of the surface.

Last edited by jim62; 01/20/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt