Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by jim62
[quote=Oregon45]
One warning though, most Bark River Knives only come in a convex blade grind. Unless you are OK with Convex style sharpening /stropping don't buy one. It is a waste to buy a full convexed blade and then try to put a "V " secondary bevel on it. Buy a flat or hollow ground knife from some other maker if you want to do that.

What is the special method or equimpment for sharpening a convex grind? I have BR canadian that may need sharpening some day and all I have is flat stones and a spyderco sharpmaker.

Here you go-

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/pages.php?pID=4&CDpath=0

Even folks who own Flat ground blades and flat should learn how strop their blades.

No matter WHAT blade grind you have on a knife or what steel it is made from, it is smarter to maintain that edge over time rather than resharpen on stones. The proper uses of hard leather strops with compound allow you to do that.

Unless you chip or roll the edge, you can go a LONG time without resorting to anything more harsh than a stop and black emory compound.

If I were you I would get the $41.00 double sided strop bat/compound kit from Kniveshipfree.com . Then watch those videos several times more to understand what you are doing..

It will be money/time well spent and it will help keep all your knives sharper. But it is pretty much the only way to fly on a Bark River knife.

Last edited by jim62; 01/07/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt