Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

HAH! Running can really tear you up over the long haul. As I have gotten older, it has been necessary to pace things a lot slower. Longer time between sets, and LOADS more recovery time. Had a real drop off at 52, but at 57, I am still beating the young guys a lot in bench press. Actually had my highest contest bench ever last Sept. 525 @174 bodyweight, 56 years old. Some sports demand a change in approach, but you can still be competetive for a long time. ( injuries, though rare for me, take a LOOOONG time to heal)

How much without that gay-assed bench shirt? Also, what is your current 5K time? How much can you overhead press with ZERO hip drive? [/quote]Damn - a gear hater. Tell you what, I'll lend you the shirt, load up about 600 or so, and you can mess yourself up real good. I suppose you play football without a helmet too. Seems so, anyways.... [/quote]

Oh, I'm pretty sure it would kill me, literally, just like the guy (about one a month) who gets killed benching, most of whom are wearing that stupid shirt. So, benching WITH the shirt is analagous to riding sans helmet.

I'm a tad out of shape currently and my Crossfit Total is only about 725 ( 325 deadlift, 275 back squat, 135 shoulder press) BW 168/5'8". 5K time is a little under 25min. Hardly impressive numbers by Crossfit standards but that puts me in the top few % of 52yo's. Lay off the bench dude ( you likely have the posture of an ape), and loose the shirt, it's a parlor trick.