This is really excellent...something that at least gives a graphic illustration of the effects of the bullet in the anatomy, and even if not perfect,provides a great approximation.

And I say not "perfect" not to be critical, but we have to remember that the data is based on bullet strikes in a relatively homogeneous material of consistent hardness and densitty through it's entire length of travel,unlike, for example,where we hit a bull elk that has come out of a wallow (with hide caked with dried mud),hide and hair,along with maybe shoulder bone that must be penetrated to reach those vitals, and still be able to destroy relatively soft, stretchy tissue after all that....there are many examples we could conjur up.

Along with this we have variables of impact velocity(distance) and jacket/core composition to consider in the equation.Running through variables involved, it is no wonder we struggle sometimes to get a grasp on terminal wounding effect of the various bullets out there.

Also I think there is the issue that physiologically some animals are simply tougher than others,and I don't know how we measure that!

What is obvious is that bullets aren't the same in a general sense in terms of how they inflict wounds and penetrate,and what they "do" after they land.

Formidilosis this is a great thread and IMHO one of the more important one's posted on this site.....This should be flagged.Thanks for taking the time to do this for us. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/17/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.