Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Coyote Hunter,

I don't know what ballistic program you're using, but I first used Sierra Infinity with Berger's own G1 ballistc coeffcients for both bullets. Today I ran it through the Point Mass Ballistics Solver from Bryan Litz's book, using Berger's G7 ballistic coefficient. I listed the 168 at 2850 fps, because that's what I've found to be a more realistic velocity when comparing the two bullets, if the 140 is started at 3100.

The program I use most often, and again in this case, is Point Blank - which I've found to be pretty consistent with other programs. I also used 2800fps because that was the velocity specified.

The programs didn't produce identical results, probably because of the different G1 and G7 BC's used, but they both agreed that the 168 at 2850 would catch the 140 in velocity at right around 500 yards. With both programs the difference in widn drift was about twice as much as you indicate.

Any difference in drop is irrelevant these days, what with laser rangefinders and an easy means of compensating, whether with a multi-point reticle or by twisting the elevation turret.

Comparing the Point Blank results for the 168g VLD against the JBM online calculator (http://www.jbmballistics.com), Point Blank's calculated drift is less and retained velocity is greater than the jbm results. Nevertheless, the differences were small (15fps and 1.3" at 1000 yards). All results were using G1 BCs.

Very few hunters are prepared to shoot over 600 yards, including myself. For those that are the VLDs might be the best thing since sex. For those that aren't, I think there are better choices and put my money where my mouth is.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.