Originally Posted by greentimber
Coyote Hunter, we're dancing around two sides of the same coin here. My example shows my point, though. Even though projectile 1 transferred 100% of its energy, that doesn't buy me ANYTHING on its own. Projectile 2 (identical energy up to impact) takes care of business with minimal energy transfer. That's the point of the statement that energy transfer is not a wounding mechanism. It does establish (among other factors) the *potential* of a projectile. Even with that given, it still isn't *doing* any wounding.

It is the transferred energy that accelerates and thus causes deformation (wounding) of the target. The amount of energy available, the amount and efficiency with which it is transferred and the time element for the transfer all play a role in determining the amount of deformation/wounding.

You say it is not the "wounding mechanism", basic physics says that without the energy transfer no wounding occurs.

My only concern is doing my best to make sure the deformation occurs in the right place. To that end I chose bullets that perform according to specific criteria that I believe increase the odds of a favorable outcome when things go south. Most any bullet will work when things go as planned.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.