Originally Posted by logcutter
Bottom line is: Who cares Any sane hunter does not choose his bullets by this horse pucky..He chooses from experiences from yourself or even outfitters who have seen what works and what don't.

Never seen two old timers talking elasticity.Elasticity is what keeps your swimming trucks up not what kills game.

Jayco laugh

What experience? Most hunters get the opportunity to shoot one or two animals a year. One can't even begin to get a statistically relevant number in a lifetime of two animals a year. In my experience it takes about 50 animals to even begin to get a reliable idea of what a particular bullet will do in game if that is the only data used. Even then most actually kill one deer 50 times rather then having killed 50 deer.

The problem with most (most all??) hunters that have killed enough is that they have no idea what they are looking at when it comes to terminal ballistics. They walk up to a deer and see a hole. Maybe some blood in the chest. That's about it. This is one of the reasons why people are so concerned with what a bullet looks like after it has killed. It gives them something they can hold in their hand, stare at, and "compare" to something else because they don't know how to interpret the damage they see in animals. To a ballistician it's just one more piece of data. What they really care about is what that bullet did before it stopped.

As far as your experience from outfitters, it is my experience that while guides may be good guides and they may be good hunters they are generally behind when it comes to the technical side of gear. If one tells me that a certain valley has elk in it I will probably check it out, however if that same one freaks out when I go to adjust my turret.... well excuse me while I get my kill on......