Originally Posted by BBerg
Coyote Hunter,
Bergers do not kill by holding together. On the contrary, they kill by violentley being turned to shrapnel after the first two-three inches of penetration producing a rather instant kill, as those whp have used them can attest.
Alvaro

Just like varmint bullets except they tend to be heavier and fatter and it takes a hair longer for them to come apart as a result.

There are several reasons I won't use them, including these, based on the manufacturer's claims as well as various field reports:

1. I don't trust them to penetrate deeply enough on bad angles.
2. I DO trust them to be excessively destructive. I saw what my son-in-law's 168g A-MAX did to an antelope ham and don't expect anything different form Berger VLDs. No thanks.
3. Other bullets perform just fine without the drawbacks, especially at ranges I'm prepared to shoot (600 yards max). There is no compelling reason for me to go to VLDs.

If you like them use them. I'd be worried a broadside on a goat or sheep would blow a baseball-sized hole, or larger, in the off-side, ruining the pelt.

Can they kill quickly? Sure. But so can other bullets and the difference in time between the shot and the animal on the ground is often often measured in milliseconds at best.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/17/12. Reason: Changed "off" to "off-side"

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.