Originally Posted by pinotguy
I visit AR and the 'Fire on a daily basis. Two different deals, IMO. If you want to hunt Africa (anywhere in Africa), I can't think of a better site than AR in terms of up-to-date info. Everything from hunting regs, travel info, PH's and the areas they hunt, CITES-related stuff, etc, etc - it's there. For example, they were way out in front on the Botswana and Zambia situations.

The Gunsmithing and other hunting rifle-related sections are pretty good too. Quite a few ACGG members post there (yes, I know some are active here as well) and there's a good amount of wildcatters there and I find their input very informative.

If you don't like their political leanings, it's pretty easy - avoid those sub-forums. A lot like here.

I agree with all of the above.

From all I can see, Saeed al Maktoum is quite a good guy, a very fine, world class competitive shotgunner and extremely generous with many people, even those that he doesn't know. He is a member of the royal family of Dubai, though I don't know his exact role or if he is the one that runs Emirate Air and I understand he went to school in the US (Denver?) He is wildly crazy about guns and hunting, especially in Africa.

There are some threads on AR that demonstrate expertise and disclose both new and old information that I never see here -- and of course, vice versa. Both covered the Zastava LH Mauser group buy (I bought one) but I'd say AR provided better input on it.

I think you really need to follow both. Personally, I haven't seen anything there that I consider offensive to Americans (of which I am one.) But then, I've been out and around the world more than most and measure it against the truly stupid comments I get from all over. laugh

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).