Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think what would be interesting is to learn the reasons WHY the Nightfarces and Super Chickens hold up better than the rest. We know they have heavier tubes, but what spring and erector designs are they using? What else can be done to make a scope tougher?

J

First and foremost I greatly appreciate Formidilosis posting this information, it makes me aware of what I do and don't do regards making sure my guns are zeroed. It also makes me aware of what we mostly don't think about, i.e. sight zero retention, I need to check zero more often.

Secondly how do SWFA and NF build their scopes so well such that no other manufacturer or most other manufacturers cannot come close to holding zero and correct adjustments? I don't get it.

I am that guy that shoots 3-5 round groups and I hunt deer, pigs, coyote's and that is about it. I check my zero with 2 shots 2-3 times during the season but that is about it. I have broken a lot of rifle scopes doing dumb ass things like dropping the rifle out of the case onto the concrete etc. Then some not my fault that just started throwing flyers a Zeiss Diavari MC that I have comes to mind.

I want a Night Force or SWFA hold zero forever scope, I had a NF with 25 mm objective on a nice 223, but because I am average Joe I just did not like it because the glass was not that good. I would buy another one if I could see that the glass was good from edge to edge, and it worked fine in low light.

I mean get real, iron sights are more rugged than a scope and will hold zero forever! Why do we buy a rifle scope over better iron sights? I do because I want more resolution than you can get with an iron sight and a scope works better in low light! Let's piss all over the zero holding ability of a Zeiss Victory but lets also say it works well near dark. I guess its safe to say that most telescopes on the market represent some type of a compromise. It looks like NF or SWFA work better than an iron sight and still holds zero almost forever. I don't hear any reports regarding their low light performance so I just don't know about that, but for NF a 2.5-10 x 25mm...come on folks!

I am not using my scopes for imaging, I am using them for purpose to see shoot what I could not shoot with an iron sight. Sure I want it to hold zero well, but I also want a quick image in the view, a precise aiming point, something that can work over entire legal hours, I am not studying spot patterns or reading prose at 300 yards, just trying to pick up a reticle fast in low light and shoot the animal.

I guess the mystery of "why cannot or will not any other manufacturer build a scope to hold zero like the SWFA, or NF offering remains unanswered? What are they doing that is special I am very interested! Finally if NF put a good AR coatings on the lenses, and used good glass, spent good money keeping the figure of the lenses consistent across the optic they would be 100 % of the way home.

Last edited by jimmyp; 12/31/13.