Originally Posted by southtexas
Got an elk hunting planned for September. Got an old '06 that really likes 165 HPBTs. Would these work well for elk, or should I try to find a good 180gr load?

If 180's are recommended, I know Partitions are "the bullet", but would CnC bullets work just fine, or would I be wise to use a premium? (I know bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, etc.)

The Sierra is a outstanding Deer bullet and the one i use in my 308 , but it is soft and will open quickly and as long as you have broadside shots you should have no problem taking Elk. If the only shot you get is a Big Bull walking away from you , then you may wish you used another bullet. Personally if you insist on using a light 30 cal bullet, i would go to a 165 or 180 gr Partition just for the extra margin of penetration on shots that may not present a perfect lung through lung shot. I killed a cow at around 150 yards broadside with the 30-06 and Nosler 165 GR Partition and she dropped right there, so i know the lighter 30 cal bullets will work if you shoot straight. If i was going to hunt Elk again with my 30-06 i would use the Nosler 200 gr Partition and Hod 4831SC , you will be surprised just how flat the 30-06 with push this bullet and no Elk can stand it from any angle you may have to shoot.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.