Originally Posted by southtexas
Got an elk hunting planned for September. Got an old '06 that really likes 165 HPBTs. Would these work well for elk, or should I try to find a good 180gr load?

If 180's are recommended, I know Partitions are "the bullet", but would CnC bullets work just fine, or would I be wise to use a premium? (I know bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, etc.)

You're asking the right question. IME which bullet to use is one of THE most important questions when it comes to the terminal performance needed on a elk.

I stayed with 165 Sierras too long because my 30-06 loved them and shot tiny groups. I killed several elk and other critters and was more bothered all the time as I cut up animals. They were dead but the bullet performance was quite inconsistent in penetration, expansion and in sometimes shedding jackets too soon.

I kept killing elk till with them until I shot a good bull through a shoulder angle that needed considerable penetration and lost him. I know exactly where I hit him from evidence of sight picture and cut hair in relation to his tracks. I hit him where I intended and it was my fault that I chose a bullet not up to what I asked of it that time. That bull deserved better.

I went to 180 Nosler Partitions for years. They never shot the same tight groups but they performed far better on elk, even if they were an inch off of where the Sierra would have hit. FWIW they did NOT kill deer and smaller bears quite as quickly as the 165 did with a double lung shot. A dozen years ago I switched to 180 Swift A-Frame that shoot MOA in my 30-06 and do a superb job on elk, even more consistent terminal performance & damage than NP's IME.

Your philosophy is a factor. IMO overkill is good. Extra margins of penetration are good. Cup & core work better than bare lead and as a teen I killed elk with 130 grain cup & core from a 30-30. But I don't drive a Model A Ford and don't drive big game bullets from that era anymore. Last week while hunting a black bear that I knew was huge, I talked it over with a guide friend and went with 180 Swift A-Frames instead of a bonded 165 grain even though IME black bears are relatively easy to kill. In the event the 165 would have killed as quick or quicker, but I wanted to insure an exit and blood trail if the bullet took a long path through an extra large critter.

Good luck on your elk!