Originally Posted by southtexas
Got an elk hunting planned for September. Got an old '06 that really likes 165 HPBTs. Would these work well for elk, or should I try to find a good 180gr load?

If 180's are recommended, I know Partitions are "the bullet", but would CnC bullets work just fine, or would I be wise to use a premium? (I know bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, etc.)

The bullet choice isn't all that important, particularly at .30-06 velocities. Super accuracy is even less important. Put a bullet in the lungs and the elk will go down shortly.

More important is your ability to shoot well out to your maximum range. I strongly recommend a laser range finder as distances in the mountains can be very deceiving.

My own choice of bullets, for many years, was Speer Grand Slams for my 7mm RM. Not very aerodynamic but accurate enough and they were hammers. These days I prefer North Fork SS, Barnes TTSX and Nosler AccuBonds for all my rifles. Two cows have gone straight down with a .30-06 and 165g North Forks, another with a 150g AccuBond.

If all I had was a C&C bullet, though, I'd use it and worry about other things. Others have suggested Partitions and they are never wrong if you rifle likes them. This year I'll be using Federal's 165g Trophy Bonded Tip in a .30-06 simply because Dad gave me a box of them with the rifle.

Find a load your rifle likes, learn to shoot it well at distance (up to 400-600 yards, whatever is possible) and go hunt. Spend time getting as familiar with the area as you can - including through Google Earth, topo and land ownership maps, whatever you can. Get in shape, too.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.