Whoops , we have stepped on the toes of the Elk killing experts from Wyo. I don't claim to be a expert like yourself and have only killed 6 out of seven trips and so has my buddy from Virginia. I hunt with my Friend and his three sons and some of their cousins who where born and raised in Leadville and they have killed killed more Elk than most who hunt them on this forum and most they have killed is with Ammo they can find the cheapest at Walmarts, they don't handload , usually Rem Corelocks. Elk aren't that hard to kill if you shoot them in the right place, and they are made much tougher to kill on the internet than in the woods. Every Elk we have killed we field dressed and dragged out whole or in one piece and this is why i haven't been in the last two seasons , just to dam old to drag Elk at 12,000 ft. My friend was a Paratrooper in the 101 with me. Growing up in Redcliff outside of Leadville , he killed all his Elk every year using a Savage 99 in 300 Sav with open sight and factory ammo until he got out of the Military and purchased a Remington 742 in 30-06

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.