Originally Posted by kududude

But then, I'm perfectly satisfied with the .30-'06.

Frankly, I much prefer Hornady Interlockeds at '06 velocity, mostly because they expand properly and penetrate beautifully. On the one safari I used premium bullets in my '06, I was not at all satisfied with bullet expansion.

Of course, other's opinions may vary. And that's fine. Just keep in mind that killing ten or twenty elk only gives the hunter a hint of the answer, not the entire story.

kd

Perfectly satisfied with the .30-06?! And you even took one to Africa? Next we'll discover you probably were shooting a push feed rifle! It's a wonder you weren't eaten by lions and run over by buffalo!!

Seriously, what type of premium bullets did you use in your .30-06 in Africa and just how did they perform?

You are right about trying to draw conclusions from limited field experience. It is hard to get enough direct experience in the US to truly know how more than just a couple of cartridge/bullet combinations truly work on game.

That's why forums like this are valuable. A hunter can learn from the experiences of others.