Originally Posted by wyoelk

Watched a calf suck up 5+ from a 300. One didn't even make rib cage after entering shoulder.

I can't load the long winded chunks of [bleep] where I like and get them to fit in the mags. You guys must have different rifles.

I guess that I do, for sure.

Over the last ten years, I have taken five large bull elk with ABs: one with a 200-grain (in a .300 WSM), one with a 200-grain (from a .338-06) one with a 250-grain (from a 9.3x74R) and two with the 260-grain (from a .375 H&H). The only one that I recovered was the 200-grain .338 bullet. I shot the animal at about 25 yards as it ran past me and the bullet went through the near shoulder, top of the heart and both lungs and was found just under the skin on the far side.

The bull shot with the 200-grain .308 bullet was quartering toward me and was hit between the shoulder and the neck. The bullet exited on the far side behind the last short rib, plowing through at least five feet of elk tissues. Not only was this was the largest-bodied bull that I have ever killed, it was probably the largest that I have ever seen.

All of but one of those were one-shot kills. One of the bulls shot with the .375 stood around long enough to catch a second one before he staggered backward and flipped over on his back.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...