Originally Posted by White_Eagle
Say what you will Rancho, I don't care what your opinions about my opinions are. But to clarify myself, I did not say that a 7mm08 could not kill elk at longer distances. I've heard of and seen people drop elk and moose at much longer distances than 200 yards with this round. But the reason for my opinion is this; I am extremely respectful of the animals I hunt, and therefore I am extremely (you may even say overly) cautious about the shot I take and the rounds and types of bullets I use. There are two reasons I hunt. The first reason is so that I my eat meat from an animal that lived the way an animal should live, ate what an animal should eat, and died as quick, fear free, and pain free a death as could possibly provide, instead of waiting in terror at a slaughter house. The second reason is so that proper populations can be maintained so that they can continue living proper and healthy lives. And out of my respect of these animals and my striving to provide them with clean and proper deaths, I simply refuse to hunt animals the size of elk or larger with any thing smaller than a .308 or .270, not that a smaller round like the 7mm08 or 7x57 Mauser won't get the job done properly, especially with premium ammunition, but I just like to be absolutely confident that what I am shooting will provide the clean and quick kills I desire. Call me paranoid if you like, because I probably am. I also refuse, no matter how large my gun is, to take a shot unless I know I can make it and like to keep my shots at as short distances as possible. If I have doubts or worries as to whether I can make that shot or not then I will simply not take it. Now if you see my reasons to be absurd, dumb, badly thought out, or lacking, then feel free to insult, criticize or demean. Because I really don't give a d@mn.

well bless your heart!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~