I would say under "optimal" conditions that is enough gun� but I can't remember the last elk I killed under optimal "conditions". They are big animals and they can take lead like it's nothing and can keep going for miles. I started out elk hunting in 1982 with a .270 Win, then moved to a 7mm Rem Mag, then to a 300 Win Mag, and the past few years I've been using a .338 win mag. To be honest I can't tell you the 338 Win Mag has any better record with me than the .270, I just know that when I have an odd angled shot, or a heavy cross wind, etc. that I have a better chance of making it to the boiler room with a 250g .338 bullet rather than a 150g .270 bullet� I killed two cows last Nov. with the .338, neither took a step after being hit� both were btwn 200 and 300 yds. Then two days later my son and I tag teamed a bull at around 200 yds and after 3 good hits with his .300 Win mag, I had to put two more from my .338 in it to put it down for good� all 5 shots were lethal, just not enough to anchor him. No two elk die the same. Give yourself the best shot you can, carry the heaviest caliber you can shoot comfortably and tote around the mountains� the elk deserve to die quickly and humanely, IMHO. So, in summary, if it were me, I'd take a gun with a bit more knock down power.

God Bless America!