Originally Posted by redfoxx
OK, at least were getting back on topic. It's simple, IMHO it's about margin of error. The larger the caliber the more likely a marginal hit will anchor the animal faster. Bigger hole, more energy, etc. In the right hands a 7-08 will do it all day long, I just like knowing that in the event I screw up and make a bad shot I have a better chance of recovering my animal. I'm not in the business of making bad shots, but it happens from time to time, inadvertently. The OP said he had larger caliber rifles he could take but just really liked the 7-08. My opinion, and recommendation to him was to take a bigger stick. He can hunt and kill with whatever the hell he wants to, I was offering my opinion, which last time I checked is what this forum is about? As a matter of fact, that is exactly what he was asking! I'm out, I've gotta go find Lamont out in the scrap yard and feed Aunt Ester some beef and kippers, then drive crazy Grady down to the bingo parlor.

Cliff Note: Redfoxx is a poor shot and has gut shot elk with a 270, 7MM Mag, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Surprisingly, gut shot elk are hard to find.