Originally Posted by Elkmen
Well Kevin and huntsman. Many of the seasons where I typically hunt are short, and you are lucky to get one shot at an animal in several years. Most will not pass no matter what cartridge they are shooting, or the shot presented. So the point is to bring enough gun to the table,to get the job done, and put the animal down, rather than risk a wounded animal, getting away. Rather than planning to "only" take the perfect shot.

The old man isn't saying you can't kill elk with 243's, and since he probably hunts a few states every Fall for elk, he is able to see more elk than the average guy that gets to hunt one season in one state. I am pretty sure shot placement trumps caliber everytime along with bringing the right bullet to task. You can't really hammer on a guy that has taken a ton of elk. I don't believe anybody ever looks for a rear end shot, but I think they happen. Not many will post they have made a crap shot, but a bad shot is bad no matter how it happens, but I'd rather have that shot that blows thru the animal, leaving blood on the ground to end the rodeo as fast as possible.

Either way, since I have been a Marine, it has been a free country, so we get to pick what we want to hunt elk with. Again, we won't change anybodys opinion on this here Google box, but it is an opinion and I can't see how he would be wrong recommending a larger caliber for elk if your able to shoot it well.

Semper Fi