Originally Posted by redfoxx
The larger the caliber the more likely a marginal hit will anchor the animal faster. Bigger hole, more energy, etc.

Red: First, thanks for having a sense of humor. That Grady is a piece o' work. As far as your statements I quoted above, I'm sure there may be some hits where a .338 would be more effective than a 7-08 but I don't know that I agree 100%; a marginal hit is a marginal hit. And there's obviously nothing wrong with your opinion or a .338. But what you said above could also be said about the .338 WM vs. the .50 BMG, so why not that?

Obviously, there are trade-offs in recoil, noise, expense, and so on. Once you get to a certain point, there are diminishing returns. How much is enough? I had a .338, a really nice Kimber. Great piece of walnut and accurate. But I found myself not shooting it very much. And it was also heavier than what I like to tote in the mountains. So I turned it into a 7 mag. and then sold that to fund another project.

But I still have my 7-08. I shoot it a lot, it's light and a joy to carry. So that's how I lean. I get to hunt elk every year, and I don't mind waiting on the shot I want.

Plus, I just don't see myself turning down a shot with a 7 mm. 150 partition or BT that I'd have taken if I'd only had the .338 WM in my hands.

A wise man is frequently humbled.