Originally Posted by maggie
Suffice it to say I've painted a fair number of houses in my lifetime. I can tell you from my own experience that I would never have entered into a job like that, speaking from the painter's side, without everything in writing, and getting the homeowner's final approval on the color(s). A lot of stores, Sherwin Williams included, will sell you a small sample of the colors you are interested in to test. It's a little more time and money, but a drop in the bucket compared to whole house costs, and the frustration you are now going through as an unhappy homeowner. It can be extremely frustrating as a painter, (and many other trades as well), to try to work with customers that can't make up their minds, or change ideas mid-job, that's why I found it was best for all involved to have every aspect of the job in writing prior to starting. Part of the agreement, in writing, is that if the homeowner does change their mind at some point after the job had started, we would be glad to try to work with them as long as they understood there would be extra costs involved. That seemed to work pretty well, and even tho' there is no way to keep everyone 100% happy, we had a successful business for many years. Unfortunately for you, it sounds like good groundwork was never laid, and now the inevitable remorse. I surely hope this works out for you and you get a color you can be happy with, without emptying your wallet. Good luck to you, keep us posted.

Yep, Sometimes if the peeps were real Manhattanite wacko's,I'd charge time for consulting on color,then I'd get signatures. If the owner did not like it after all that,we called it " cha - ching" Colors are a funny thing. Reflective light can make you swear it is not what you picked.
At the paint store,upon purchase of custom colors,we would make them sample the stuff by putting a dab on the color swatch sample.