I painted houses in high school and college. I can't tell you how many times a woman (always a woman) picks out a color, and I paint a whole room or side of a house and she says "I don't like it." If they want me to re paint it, they are going to pay me to do it... and if they want a light color over a dark one, they are going to pay me twice because I'm going to prime it until it stops showing through. I painted a woman's bedroom eggplant purple and she turned around and asked for white. Her husband didn't want to pay me to do it. I walked. Over and over it happens though. You can tell a contractor to stop and beat it if you don't like their work. If they finish, and you let them, you are going to pay them. There isn't a lot of recourse once he's got your money.

As to your color. I'm sorry. I agree with you. It's very hard to do a brown house. I painted a couple, and one had red trim and one had a light yellow. Neither would suit me. I'd add some light colors. Trim, shudders, doors... I never painted gutters, electrical meters... That's not cool. Or, I hate to say it, re do. I wish you luck.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson