Originally Posted by SansSouci

My preferred gun, when I do carry one, which is extremely rare, is a P-229 with 13 180 grain LE rounds.

Note - bold added above is mine - not from the original quote.

While I agree with much of what you said in your post above, I think the point of the pocket pistol argument is EXACTLY what you reference.

What do you carry when your preferred carry option isn't practical? I also feel better with a G19/23/32/30 or a 1911 but admit that there are times when carrying one just doesn't work itself easily into the plan.

As I see it, that leaves (at least) 3 options listed in my order of preference:
1. Change the plan / attire to accommodate your preferred weapon (dress around the gun).
2. Carry something that does fit with the attire or situation.
3. Don't carry. For ME - this is easily the least desirable option so when I cannot do option 1 I like to have choices for option 2.

I never feel as well prepared with an LCR as with a G19 or 1911 (just as an example) but definitely better than when I have only a pocket knife ...

Obviously you are free to make your own decisions on carry options and I wish you the best with them. For me - I find myself looking to minimize / eliminate times when I am unprepared as I'm sure that is when Murphy will find me.

YMMV

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.